Miami Horror Type Experiments

For the last few days, I've been spending a good amount of time concepting for a poster for Miami Horror, an indie-electronic pop band. I enjoy their music quite a bit so I am really excited. They have an energetic sound that is reminiscent of dance pop from the 80's, but lyrically they explore some pretty abstract and futuristic ideas. So, my concept is going to duplicate this visually: stylistically I want to reference the 1980's and have somewhat of a retro feel, but I want the content itself to have a more modern/post-modern look. To achieve this, I explored some really interesting & unconventional techniques in working with type, light, and texture. After choosing Neutraface (it has a really nice retro feel to it, but can still be interpreted to be futuristic by use of texture and style), I moved forward with experimentation — in other words, "the fun stuff." I love trying new things when the timeline allows it. Check out some of my process below. 

Some of the type options

Some of the type options

These were created by cutting the type out of paper, back lighting it, and then photographing it while doing a zoom blur with the camera.

These were created by cutting the type out of paper, back lighting it, and then photographing it while doing a zoom blur with the camera.

More dramatic zoom blur with a slower shutter speed

More dramatic zoom blur with a slower shutter speed

Angled zoom blur

Angled zoom blur

This one was made by printing out what was created above and then photocopying it a bunch of times. Photocopies of photocopies, etc.

This one was made by printing out what was created above and then photocopying it a bunch of times. Photocopies of photocopies, etc.

Another photocopy texture created by bending the paper as it scanned

Another photocopy texture created by bending the paper as it scanned

These were created by putting an image of the type on a tv screen and then photographing it. I'm pretty sure one of these will make it onto the final poster.

These were created by putting an image of the type on a tv screen and then photographing it. I'm pretty sure one of these will make it onto the final poster.

mhtype07_web.jpg
A little formatting in photoshop, and I ended up with this

A little formatting in photoshop, and I ended up with this